Home > Holodomor
| d&d (Furman, Odynsky, Katriuk) | Zuzak Letters |
Viktor Brekhunenko | 19Jun2018 | To: Ro Khanna
Viktor Brekhunenko replies to Ro Khanna's letter attacking Ukraine
-- [3-pages, 2,473 KB]
-- [8-pages, 665 KB]
-- [1-page, 154 KB]
Will Zuzak analysis:
For the last year or so, there has been a concerted attack by the
Russian propaganda machine and the Holocaust Industry to delegitimize
A recent example, prompted Professor
Viktor Brekhunenko, PhD. to respond to the derogatory letter sponsored
by Congressman Ro Khanna and signed by 56 Members of Congress of the
United States. (See the first 2 pdf files listed above.) He
particularly takes issue with the demonization of OUN and UPA as "Nazi
collaborators". He lists the following points:
(1) A Nazi
order from November 25, 1941, demanding the arrest, interrogation and
then peremptory execution of Stepan Bandera's followers. The crime was
defying Hitler and declaring an independent Ukrainian state. (See the
3rd pdf file above.)
(2) Why would Ukraine today "glorify Nazi collaborators" when Hitler's
entire purpose for WWII in Europe was to conquer, occupy and colonize
- On 30Jun1943, Heinrich Himmler commanded: "The word 'Ukrainian' is forbidden, now and for all time".
- On 14Jul1943, he expressly forbade any mention of "Ukrainian nationhood".
- In Nazi concentration camps Ukrainians were identified only as "Russians" or "Poles".
Why would Ukraine today "glorify Nazi collaborators" if Ukraine
suffered more human "losses" than any other nation in Europe?
- 5 million civilians, 2 million from Red Army, 2 million deported for slave labor in Germany.
In 1945, Edgar Snow wrote that "No single European country suffered
deeper wounds to its cities, its industry, its farmlands and its
humanity" than Ukraine.
(4) It was Moscow, you will
remember (or perhaps not) that was not only Hitler's premier
collaborator, but partner, in triggering WWII?
- Most Ukrainians,
especially those who fought in the ranks of OUN and UPA, did not
choose between two tyrants and two totalitarian systems. America and
the Western Democracies did.
- Ukrainians rejected both tyrants, fought both and were slaughtered by both.
As soon as Operation Barbarossa [22Jun1941 invasion] was launched,
rather than supporting the drive against the Soviets, the OUN, looking
into the teeth of Germany's vaunted Sixth Army, declared Ukraine's
(6) The Gestapo rounded up the leading figures of
the OUN along with Stepan Bandera and committed them to Sachsenhausen
and other death camps.
- Stepan Bandera issued orders to his followers not to fall for the calls of the Gestapo to turn in Jews.
Roman Shukhevych issued orders to shelter Jews. His wife sheltered
Iryna Riechenburg 1942-1943, while he arranged transit documents for
her as Iryna Ryzhko.
(7) Ukraine has implemented laws that will
keep primary records of the past accessible to the public, Ukrainian
and foreign. We here in the academic community are puzzled by the
dearth of interest from the West, in the primary source materials
provided by law and opened to students, scholars and media.
- Of the
88 visitors in 2016 and 91 visitors in 2017 to these KGB Archives, most
were domestic students and scholars, and very few were from the West.
reader is encouraged to read Mr. Khanna's original letter in the 2nd
pdf file and Professor Brekhunenko's response in the 1st pdf file.