Wizeus > GRC Reports
Zuzak GRC Report; Wed.,
November 01, 2017
| WiZeus | zuzak20171101GRC.html
Stalinist Crimes in Ukraine That Resonate Today New York Times, 18Oct2017; Adam Hochschild
How Stalin Hid Ukraine's Famine From the World The Atlantic, 13Oct2017; Anne Applebaum
Why the Holodomor is genocide under UN convention Euromaidan Press, 04Oct2017; James Oliver
- James Oliver reviews the information in the book of Anne Applebaum titled Red Famine and concludes that can be classified as genocide even under the UN convention definition.
Anne Applebaum compares the reporting on the Holodomor in 1932-33 by
Walter Duranty with that of Gareth Jones and chastises the press corps
based in Moscow for not supporting Jones when they were fully aware of
the terrible famine raging throughout Ukraine, which Duranty was
- Adam Hochschild gives a very nice review of Anne Applebaum's book Red Famine and refers the reader to 2 other relevant books by Ms. Applebaum.
-- No additions this month.
Background to Canada's Magnitsky Act CBC National, 25Oct2017; Terrance McKenna [22:17]
Terrance McKenna provides the background to the deaths of Sergei
Magnitsky and Alexander Perepilichniy, which led to the passage of
Canada's version of the Magnitsky Act.
(4) Book Reviews:
Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine Penguin Books, 2017; Anne Applebaum
- Clickable links to the various chapters in a 362-page pdf file of Anne Applebaum's book Red Famine, as well as a bookreview in excerpt format, have been provided.
Version of Magnitsky Law, Shuns Global Outlaws World Affairs,
20Oct2017; Vladimir Kara-Murza
Schooled in Scandal:
What Makes Ukraine a Hotbed of Intrigue New York Times,
07Oct2017; Andrew Higgins
Russia and the West:
Handling the clash of worldviews ECFR, 04Oct2017; Vygaudus
How to finish the
revolution in Ukraine Kyiv Post, 02Oct2017; Olena Sotnyk,  Brian
Olena Sotnyk (with Brian Bonner's support) continues to lobby for the
establishment of an independent anticorruption court, which is opposed
by many of the Oligarchs in power.
- Vygaudus Usackas, former EU
Ambassador to the Russian Federation, recommends a firm, realistic
approach to allow the development of positive relations with Russia.
- Andrew Higgins highlights judicial corruption in Ukraine as a judge releases a cybercriminal in Poltava.
- Vladimir Kara-Murza applauds Canada for passing its version of the Magnitsky Act.
Ukrainian Week: http://ukrainianweek.com/ --
Click on "Eng" for English-language version
http://i.tyzhden.ua/content/photoalbum/2017/10_2017/18/uw/Book10.pdf -- No. 10 (114) 11-18Oct2017
http://ukrainianweek.com/Politics/202268 -- A difficult return -- 20Oct2017, Maksym Vikhrov
(7) Unian News:
Daily English-language news from Ukraine.
Should you not wish to receive my monthly GRC Reports, simply
click on "Reply" on the Email message leading to this GRC Report and
state "Please remove" in the text of the message.
Will Zuzak, 2017.11.01
the eyes of God,
the soul of your enemy is as important as your own soul