Government Relations Committee; Wed., Jan. 19, 2005
(1) The OSI has now twice trumpeted their intention to deport John Demjanjuk. Furthermore, in USA Today, dated Dec. 27, 2004, Peter Eisler states:
“The intelligence overhaul law signed Dec. 17, 2004 by President Bush includes a provision that directs the department's Office of Special Investigations (OSI) to root out all manner of war criminals and human rights abusers who try to settle in the USA.”
(See the latest four articles from Nov. 18
and Dec. 17/18 and Dec. 27, 2004 archived at
(2) In a Jan. 12, 2005 ruling the U.S. “Supreme
Court Allows Removal Without Advance Consent of Country's Government.”
This decision appears to be very troubling from the point of view of
may be persuasive authority in Canadian courts for cases like Odynsky.
(3) On Dec. 14, 2004 Judy Sgro signed a
directive to Eileen Boyd, assistant Clerk of the Privy Council to
the revocation of the citizenship of Wasyl Odynsky and on Dec. 22, 2004
Wolpert, counsel for the Justice Department, sent a letter to Barbara
(Odynsky's lawyer) which her office received at 3:00 p.m., Dec. 24,
which was transmitted to Olya Odynsky on Jan. 04, 2005.
With a late version of RealPlayer installed on your computer, you can view a news item on the issue at
January 15th 2005; Episode #1319; Segment 5. Ms. Odynsky asks Ukrainian organizations and individuals to contact their MPs and protest this action.
(4) Judy Sgro resigned as Minister of Citizenship and Immigration on the evening of Jan. 13, 2005 and was immediately replaced by Joe Volpe the next morning. We note that the 56-year-old Italian-born Joe Volpe “is also a founding member of the Liberal Parliamentarians for Israel and a member of the Canada-Israel Interparliamentary Group”.
(5) The Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration (CIMM) has scheduled cross-Canada public hearings on the new Citizenship Act from Mar. 07 to Apr. 15, 2005. In Calgary these are scheduled for Wed., Apr. 06, 2005 at the Delta Bow Valley and in Edmonton for Thu., Apr. 07, 2005 at the Hotel MacDonald. Organizations and individuals are encouraged to notify William Farrell at 613-995-8525 or firstname.lastname@example.org of their intention to make a submission.
Further information is archived in my
Furman Files and the CIMM website:
Will Zuzak, 2005-01-19