Government Issues Committee Report; Wed., Oct. 01, 2003
(1) The Ukrainian Self Reliance Association, Edmonton Branch (headed by Eugene Harasymiw) is sponsoring an informational meeting on d&d, Bill C-18 and the case of Wasyl Odynsky with Olya Odynsky as the guest speaker at an evening banquet on Saturday, Oct. 18, 2003 to be held at St. John’s Orthodox Hall, 110 Ave. – 106 St., Edmonton. Banquet tickets at $20.00 each are available from Will Zuzak, as well as from others.
(2) The Ukrainian Canadian Civil Liberties Association (UCCLA) held its annual conclave in Canmore, Alberta on the weekend of 19 – 22 September 2003, which Eugene Harasymiw attended from Edmonton. Their Press Release is archived on their website at http://www.uccla.ca/ .
(3) It is expected that the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration will not proceed with clause-by-clause consideration of Bill C-18 before Parliament is prorogued in November 2003. It is expected that Bill C-18 will die as a result. Nevertheless, it is extremely important that the Ukrainian community maintains its vigil and continues to promote its views on the issue of revocation of citizenship and the d&d policy still in place.
(4) The preamble of the submission of the president of
Petriw, to the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration during
#41, Feb. 18, 2003 in Vancouver has been archived on my website at
Summaries (with my comments interspersed) of Mtgs. #54, 62 and 68 have also been archive there.
(5) The campaign of Bill Pidruchney to convince the public that Canadian citizenship is a status, which is not revocable, is continuing at a lower energy level pending further political developments.
Will Zuzak, 2003-10-01